Be Careful How You Hear
God, man, Christ, response.
How others hear and respond to the news of the Kingdom.
- Not Believe. Reject the word. (vs 12)
The word of God can harden a heart.
- Believe for a while. Entertain the word and then fall away. (vs 13)
2 Timothy 4:3-4
- Externally committed, Internally distracted. (vs 14)
- Hold it Fast. Endure. Bear Fruit. (vs 15)
Repent, Believe, Follow, Repeat.
What is the condition of your heart?
- The Hard Heart: (vs 12)
- The Comfortable Heart: (vs 13)
- The Anxious/Apathetic Heart: (vs 14)
- The Joyful/Honest Heart: (vs 15)
The fruit of an honest and good heart:
The point of hearing the gospel is to share the gospel.
How do you learn to hear:
- Pray that God would give you the good and honest heart described in verse 15.
- Meditate on the Word of God. Read your Bible with a view to stir up hunger for God.
Read, “When I Don’t Desire God” by John Piper
- Memorize the word. FighterVerse App, Memory Journal, the Joshua Principle, etc.
- Process the word together. Have each other over for dinner and talk about the message.
- Renew your mind by turning away from worldly entertainment.
- Trust in the truth that you already have been given.
- Endure one another without grumbling and criticism
“They grumbled in their tents; they did not listen to the voice of the LORD.”
- Be still as you enter this room and focus your mind’s attention and heart’s affection on God. Psalm 46
- Think earnestly about what is sung and prayed and preached when you are here.
- Desire the truth of God’s Word more than you desire riches or food